A collation of forum posts over the last couple of months, My Neuspotter kit.
An SF3D Original Neuspotter (released in the late 80's, none of your ZBV3000 rubbish here)
Some of the multimedia parts and the sprues, there's quite a lot to these kits :D
Some more work done on the head, I've drilled some points to replace kit parts with brass and alu rod, also I've scored out pits around some parts so I can add weld beads and the like.
I build in subassemblies so it actually looks like this.
Also some work completed on the arms.
Decided that if I am going to add a sand cast texture to the head I'd have to make it look cast in parts. I was planning on this anyway, but rushed ahead of myself.
So the first stage was to cut it up.
Then I added plasticard strips so I can remount the plates.
These strips make it easier to fit the pieces as individually they are more flexible than a single piece.
Once they're all together I can remodel the edges of the plates to make a thin weld strip (similar to the welds seen on a Kingtiger)
I've also drilled out holes for extre greeblies like some more antenna and sensor housing.
I've added extra detail to the top panel with some hinges, I also plan some kind of grip or handle, and maybe a tension spring.
The kit Saturn V engine bells have been replaced with resin aftermarket parts.
Plus I'm preparing for the end-build by getting some spring cable ready, there will be two types. This plain cable, and also a cable with control wire I'll be producing from some pallet straining wire.
Also I've got as far as test-fitting the majority of the body.
Those wire arms are a b**** to put together!
The next stage I'll mostly be concentrating on the head, I figure its the bit that will be looked at the most.
I've replaced a number of plastic parts with brass and aluminium rod, as well as adding a few greeblies of my own.
The main part of the head is pretty much finished, quite pleased with the additions I've made.
Spent this eve preparing the model for zimmerit (one half at a time so the masking doesn't send me mad!
I've applied the zimmerit to the bottom half of the memory module, now I just have to knock it back a bit with sandpaper.
Then remove the mask and tidy up before starting on the other half.
Its coming along. :D
I have a few more ideas. Apart from the heads new sensor visor, the head and memory module are pretty much done barring the fine details.
The head with its new visor and carry handles for the sensor plate.
The memory module with its coat of Zimmerit , I have no idea what its for. Chemical EMP baffle? Signature damper??
I've also given the flat open portions a slightly uneven texture (like lightly rippled and dented rolled steel.), to to cover up that smooth plastic 'its a kit' look..
I've re-plated a boring pipe on the stem with parts from the Revell 1/35 RS0/03, PaK 40 kit.
Other than that I've added new ports where the cables run from the body into the stem.
I need to texture the open area on the back of the stem (flat rolled metal), and texture the plates at the front (cast looking).
Also I need to add a collar top and bottom to ensure a flat fit at either end.
The next area I'm paying attention to is re-rigging the pipework/cabling on the body, to something make that looks realistic to me. (not explained mind you, just stuff that looks like it would work.)
Its mostly dictated by whats coming from the head and lower portions, plus whatever greeblies catch my eye while I'm putting it together.
I feel these models benefit from a little extra depth to make them believable.
After that I have the Antigrav modules to rebuild, they picked the worst place to put a split so I'm going to make the coils from scratch and refit the housing over the top.
The orange highlighted parts are the areas I need to remove.
I kinda noodle on the bigger kits, about half of the changes are planned. The other half just kinda evolve as I'm going.